Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Milt Kahl - Mr. Snoops Pencil Test



Mr. Snoops from "The Rescuers" , animated by Milt Kahl. I've seen a version of this recently that had some of the drawings missing . I don't have the Medusa level, but this one has all the Snoops drawings , except for during the long hold his nose level and his eye blinks are missing. (as Medusa says "You are TOO SOFT" she pokes his nose with her finger) . Lip sync is a little off , but this was as close as I could get it working with sound grabbed from a 30fps video, changing it to 24fps and trying to match to the 24fps pencil test. (for context I added the scene right after this one as he finishes his line "fuss about her teddy bear getting wet".)

Something else missing here is the dynamic way that Kahl moves the character within the layout . There is a subtle pan behind Snoops as he backs away from Medusa at the beginning, and again as he moves away from him after she says "You are TOO SOFT" ... You can't see it as much here with all the drawings centered, but if you watch the actual scene in the movie it has more of an illusion of space to it. Check it out on DVD or see a low-res clip on YouTube for comparison to the pencil test:

4 comments:

David McBride said...

This is one of my favorite scenes. The characters are so rich. Just watching this clip is inspiring.

I love the movement and emotion in Snoop's head and when he raises his arms completely over his head when he talks about the waves were coming in. His whole body language is hilarious.

Anonymous said...

Hey David, that's great! Many thanks for your effort. I'll replace it with your version if you don't mind?!

-Victor-

David said...

Hi, Victor,

Yes, that's fine with me.

I'm glad you posted the other one because it reminded me that I had these drawings and needed to scan them. (I've found some other animation scenes that I had forgotten I had stored in boxes and if I get time later this summer I will get busy scanning those as well. The scanning just takes so much time, time that I don't really have right now ... and if there are no peg holes showing on the drawings it becomes very time consuming to try to nudge the drawings around to get them in proper registration ... I'm still not happy with that Capt. Hook scene I posted . I need to try that one again . Too many jitters.) )

How are things going on The Illusionist ?

-DN

BJ Crawford said...

fantastic test. it's so great to pause on the timing charts and see how many drawings are on twos.

VERY inspiring stuff...