Thursday, November 27, 2008

Milt Kahl scene -- where does it come from ?

A small mystery :

I found this Milt Kahl scene from "The Rescuer's" posted on YouTube.  My question in the title -- "where does it come from?" -- doesn't refer to the film ; I know it's from "The Rescuer's".

But as far as I can see this shot is not in the final version of the film, but it feels to me like I remember seeing it  (in color) in the original theatrical release of the film.  But this scene is NOT in the DVD release of the film.  Was it cut out for some reason or is my memory playing a trick on me and this shot was never actually in the theatrical version of the film ? 

Does anyone know when or why this scene was cut out of  "The Rescuer's"  ? 








(there's no sound in the clip posted on YouTube. What are they saying ? Anyone know ? )

Here is another very similar set up , from the work-print of the sequence included on the extras of the Frank & Ollie documentary. This scene is in the final film .



(does anyone else see the one-frame camera shooting mistake on Medusa's hand at the very end of the scene ? That was fixed before the scene went to final color.)

1 comment:

David McBride said...

I remembered that scene right away when Madame Medusa was using the Teddy Bear as some kind of leverage so the girl would get the diamond or ruby. I can't remember what they are saying it's seen awhile since I've seen the film.

I can't see why it would have been taken out. I just read on Wikapedia that the teddy bear was originally taken out but later put back in because it gave Penny character. I t said that when asked to go into the cave Penny said teddy doesn't like it down here do you teddy. So maybe it was cut because she had the teddy bear with her in the cave.

But again I haven't seen it in a while so I could be wrong.